Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
These homemade peanut butter sandwich cookies are perfectly soft and buttery. Filled with a creamy peanut butter frosting and dipped in dark chocolate, these will remind you of your favorite Girls Scout Cookies!Jump to Recipe
If you are a peanut butter fan, this will become your go to cookie! These peanut butter cookies are soft and slightly crunchy. Then filled with a silky peanut butter frosting! The dark chocolate and sea salt balances the sweetness of the cookie and makes these a truly decadent treat.
How to Make Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
These cookies are so easy to make with staple ingredients. Follow these directions and you will have the perfect peanut butter sandwich cookies every time! These are no-chill required cookie dough.
- Set ingredients out to come to room temperature. At least 30 min- 1 hour before baking.
- Make the cookie dough as stated in the directions. No need to chill the cookie dough, it will be thick.
- Scoop individual balls of dough. Using a cookie or ice cream scooper or 1 Tbl. Place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. The cookies will spread.
- Flatten the cookie dough. Using a fork or bottom of a measuring cup, flatten the cookies.
- Bake. Until fragrant and cookies look set on the outer edge. Cookies will appear soft and under baked, but will firm up during the cooling process.
- Make the Frosting. As the cookies cool, make the peanut butter buttercream. May make the frosting 1 week in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Fill the cookies. After the cookies have cooled, fill with frosting. May use a spoon to fill or a piping bag. Sandwich the cookies together. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up while the chocolate is melted.
- Melt the chocolate. If the chocolate is too thick, add a tiny amount of coconut oil to thin. Dip half of the cookie in the chocolate and place on a cookie sheet to dry. Top with finishing sea salt.
Peanut Butter Frosting
The peanut butter frosting combined with the chocolate really make these cookies decadent and irresistible! They will remind you of nutter butter cookies or even the girl scout peanut butter cookies.
To make the frosting, set the butter out to come to room temperature for at least 1 hour. Cream the butter until soft and add the peanut butter. Start with 3 cups of confectioners sugar and taste. Add more confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until it reaches desired sweetness. The frosting should be spreadable and not too thick. If the frosting is too thick, add more heavy cream.
Tips for making the Best Peanut Butter Cookies
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients– set eggs to sit a room temperature for 30 minutes before baking or in a bowl with warm water for 5-10 minutes. Allow butter to come to room temperature for 1 hour.
- Measure Flour Accurately– Always scoop flour with a spoon into measuring cup and level off with a knife for the most accurate measurement (unless you have scale at home). Otherwise you may have a cookie that is too dense. Tips on how to properly measure are on our Instagram Reel videos!
- Make sure your baking soda and baking powder are not expired– leaveners can expire within 5-6 months so writing the date it’s opened on the box will help. This may impact how much the cookie spreads.
- Do Not Over Bake– the cookies look slightly under baked when they come out of the oven which is perfect because they will continue to bake a little longer during the cooling process. TIP: bake just one cookie as a test at the minimum time and allow to cool for 13 minutes to determine the best time in your oven before baking an entire pan.
- Use quality chocolate– I love getting quality chocolate from Trader Joes. They actually import their chocolate bars from Europe which I will cut into chunks for the cookies. For semi-sweet chocolate chips, Ghiradelli which can be found at almost every grocery store.
If you like this recipe, you may also want to try:
Happy Baking, Friends!
*IF YOU WANT MORE BAKING & PARTY TIPS, RECIPES, AND LITTLE DOSES OF JOY- SAY HI ON INSTAGRAM & PINTEREST OR SUBSCRIBE TO MY BAKING TRIBE E-MAIL LIST! MY HEART IS ABOUT SPREADING JOY AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE HAVING THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONNECT WITH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie
- 1 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 oz dark chocolate chips optional
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix until fully incorporated. Add the peanut butter and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine whisk the baking soda, salt, and flour. Add to the mixer and mix on medium-low until just combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop or measure about 1 TBL and roll dough into balls. Using a fork, flatten cookies. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. They will spread. Bake for 13-17 minutes. Mine were perfect at 15 minutes and they will appear soft when taking out of the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix peanut butter and butter on medium speed until light and creamy. Add sifted confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time. Slowly add the heavy cream and mix on medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until the frosting has become light and airy. Should be spreadable.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and melt on 30 second increments. Stir and continue to microwave until fully melted.