Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies
This ginger molasses cookie recipe is a soft and slightly chewy cookie with ginger spice topped with turbinado sugar. Its a quick 5 step recipe that is perfect for a holiday cookie gift exchange.Jump to Recipe
WHY WE LOVE THIS CLASSIC MOLASSES COOKIE RECIPE
Ginger Molasses Cookies are a classic holiday cookie with subtle spice flavors and deep caramel notes from the molasses. And the holidays means its officially cookie season!
This cookie recipe is simple and quick with only 5 steps from start to finish which means you can whip up a batch in less than 20 minutes!
We used a can of Eagle Brand Milk Sweetened Condensed Milk to make these cookies extra soft, giving them a longer shelf life than most cookies and will stay soft for up to 1 week if stored in an airtight container. Perfect for the holiday cookie exchange!
This post is sponsored by Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, but all opinions are my own.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT SOFT & CHEWY COOKIE
- Using a can of Eagle Brand Milk makes these ginger molasses cookies extra soft and the added moisture keeps the cookies soft for up to 1 week.
- Always use Room Temperature Ingredients- set egg(s) in a bowl to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking. Take the butter to soften for 1 hour.
- Measure Flour Accurately– Always scoop flour with a spoon into measuring cup and level off with a knife for the most accurate measurement (unless you have scale at home). Tips on how to properly measure are on our Instagram Reel videos!
- Make sure your baking soda and baking powder are not expired- they can expire within 4-6 months so I always write the date I open the box. This may impact your cake from rising properly!
- To get a slightly chewy outside- chill dough for 30 min before baking. To flatten cookies- bang the pan a couple times after pulling the cookies out of the oven.
Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened (room temperature)
- 1 can (14 oz) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- In a medium bowl- combine all-purpose flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt and whisk to combine.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment- beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add egg and beat on medium speed for 1 minute, add molasses and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add sweetened condensed milk and beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds- careful to not over mix the batter. Batter will be sticky. Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 min-1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a cookie scoop or two spoons, scoop cookie batter into 2 inch round balls. Dough will be sticky. Sprinkle top with turbinado sugar and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes before serving.