Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp
Made with unrefined sugars, coconut oil, frozen blueberries, pistachios and citrus zest! This is a gluten free blueberry crisp is a healthier twist on the classic dessert we all love!Jump to Recipe
A blueberry crisp is a classic summer dessert that can be enjoyed year round with any fruit! The crispy, buttery oat and nut topping combined with a juicy fruit filling is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Blueberry Crisp with Frozen Blueberries
Blueberry crisp can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries. Frozen blueberries are used in this recipe because they are harvested and frozen at peak ripeness! We used Stahlbush Farms Frozen Blueberries and they were so juicy and much larger in size compared to the standard blueberry. Which made for an extra juicy surprise in each bite!
When using frozen blueberries, it is important to use flour or cornstarch to absorb some of the juices and help with thickening during baking. This recipe calls for any gluten free flour of your preference. You can also substitute for equal parts all-purpose flour as well.
We always opt for high quality ingredients. Especially when it comes down to the fruit in a recipe. Freshness, sustainability and locally sourced is always best for the sweetest, most ripe fruit. Stahlbush Farms is local to the PNW but you find their products for purchase directly on their website!
This post is sponsored by Stahlbush Island Farms, but all opinions are my own.
How to Make Easy Blueberry Crisp
Blueberry Crisp is one of the easiest desserts to make and can be made with any fruit. Try apple, blackberry, rhubarb or whatever fruit is in season. If a particular fruit isn’t in season, I always opt for using frozen instead!
This gluten free blueberry crisp only requires a few staple ingredients. We swapped the sugar for unrefined sugar options for a healthier version. But this blueberry crisp is so versatile and ingredients can easily be swapped for a 1:1 ratio. Which means, granulated sugar or brown sugar works great too! A few unrefined sugar options are honey, maple syrup, succanat sugar and coconut sugar.
To make this super easy dessert, start by combining the GF flour, oats, sugars, nuts (optional) and melted coconut oil and whisk to combine in a medium bowl.
Topping will be crumbly.
Next, make the filling! Combine the lemon zest, blueberries, lemon juice, GF Flour, unrefined sugar and vanilla extract and combine with a wooden spoon. The cirtus zest adds so much flavor, so don’t skip this ingredient!
Add the fruit filling to a casserole dish and evenly cover with the crumble topping. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and fragrant and the fruit is bubbling in the corners of the dish.
Can Blueberry Crisp be Frozen?
Absolutely! To freeze, make the recipe as directed and place in baking dish and wrap with plastic wrap. The only thing that will change from the recipe is the bake time will be 10-20 minutes longer for a total of 50-60 minutes or until bubbly.
You can easily make the filling in advance and throw in a freezer bag until ready to bake. Combine the topping of oats, flour, sugar and nuts and you have an easily prepped dessert!
If you love this recipe, you may also enjoy these healthier desserts!
OTHER RECIPES TO TRY
Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest can sub for 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbl fresh squeezed lemon juice about 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/4 cup GF Flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or any unrefined sugar: succanat sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup, honey
- 4 cups Stahlbush Farm Frozen Blueberries 2 (10 oz) bags
- 1 cup almond flour can sub for any GF flour of choice
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts optional
- 2 tbl honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and zest lemon and orange. Set aside. Squeeze half a lemon and set juice aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, berries, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix to combine.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, pistachio, honey, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt. Whisk to combine and pour the slightly cooled coconut oil and combine with a fork or whisk. Topping will be coarse and crumbly.
- Add berry mixture to 8×8 dish or casserole dish of equivalent size. Spread topping mixture over the berries until fully covered.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and crispy and berries are bubbling on the outer edges. If the top is getting too baked, cover with foil and continue baking on 5-10 minute increments or until berries are bubbling.